Saturday, June 8, 2013

June Is Bustin' Out All Over!

So many lovely things at Lone Pine right now!  I hiked on Thursday, but with school coming to a close, I haven't had a chance to blog until this morning.  It was my last chance to check out the yellow coralroots before we head off to New Mexico, so I was keeping my fingers crossed that they would be open. Yup, I was in luck!

Corallorhiza Trifida





At the end of my walk I came back to the Striped Coralroots that I had seen on a rainy day.  I'm putting them here so you can compare.  Still lovely in the sunshine. 

Corallorhiza Striata
Going on up the trail to the top, I started seeing some sweet wild roses starting to open.  When I got home and looked at the photo, I noticed there was an observer that I hadn't noticed when I took the picture:
Can you find my little spider friend?
I know I have already posted a lot of paintbrush photos, but this one was a whopper!  Its size probably won't show up in the photo, but the red-tipped bracts were huge.  I guess I should have put my hand in this one as well.


Alberta Penstemon is open all over the top of Lone Pine:

This is a new yellow flower and probably a type of Arnica, but not the Heart-Leaf Arnica that has already bloomed down in the forest.  I've included a leaf photo for anyone who wants to try and identify it for me! :-)
                         



The Blue Flax was stunning, but may have faded by now with the warmth and no rain this week.



This is what Prairiesmoke does after the bloom is gone--where it gets the "smoke" in its name.

More June blooms:
some variety of Daisy Fleabane
Stonecrop
Groundsel
Salsify
Salsify
there was a big field of Death Camas--watch out!
Lupine as I came on down the trail.
The bright yellow Oregon Grape is now forming the berry.
more Rosy-Pussytoes
This is where the Spotted Coralroot lives; hopefully you can see it behind the Lupine.
See how tall the Groundsel stem is!

No comments:

Post a Comment