Friday, May 3, 2013

Bloom Alert! Calypsos!!!

Today was warmer and sunny, and just the day for taking in the full loop at Lone Pine.  And wouldn't you know it...I just didn't go far enough down the trail yesterday!  At 2 other lower spots I found Fairyslippers (Calypso orchids) starting to open up!  The ones I checked yesterday are higher and still tightly closed.




I thought maybe we should add a little perspective here--
the buds are small and you have to know where to look.
My other late birthday treat was when I checked another spot for Pasqueflowers that I had seen last year!  At first I only saw a clump of vegetation and started photographing it, and then there they were, the first blossoms of the year!


Still trying to open.
There are lots of other things emerging into the sunshine--Fairybell:


Arnica:
There are places where the ground is just covered with these.
Lupine

I was thinking about the tiny little ferns I saw yesterday, and again you need some perspective to realize just how tiny they are:



There's nothing like bright yellow buttercups to add sunshine to your day either!  This was an especially pretty clump in the late sun.



No comments:

Post a Comment